Skip to main content

Where do we go from here?

My thoughts as of January 1st, 2021

2020 just passed me by. It started off with lofty ambitions before nosediving and finally settling itself on a precarious cliff. The sights from the cliff are beautiful, the light on the horizon is magnificent but there's danger and harrowing depths all around this cliff. I don't know how we got here and have to figure out where to go from here. I share this confusion, this lack of direction and the same precarious situation with billions of others around the globe. 

For the first time in a long long time we had a year which united us. We were:

  • United in our confinement 
  • United in having our lives stalled mid-way
  • United in our inability to chase our dreams
  • United in our frustrations
  • United in our solitude
I never knew misery could unite us the way no happiness or victory ever did.

But if we put the misery aside for a moment, aren't we fundamentally all lucky to at least have a roof on our heads while this pandemic rages on?

What about those of us who have a job while there are many highly talented and qualified candidates out there with no means to earn a livelihood?

Do we just spend our time counting our blessings during these horrendous series of lockdowns?


Where do we go from here?
Where do we go from here? (Courtesy: Antoine Da Cunha)

If wrestling with the above questions was not enough, I was also wrestling with a series of reflections that struck me during my (first) lockdown days. I will try my best to put them down here:

Today I am not as sure as before 

Today I feel a lot less formidable

Today I ache not too much for the future

Today I shall quit thinking of what I deserve

Today I resolve to be a bit more humane

As life ground to a halt, the answers could no longer be found outside. They laid within. Irrespective of what I expected from life, life was expecting me to give a better account of myself. It expected better thoughts from me, better actions from me and better behavior from me. It expected me to be a better and a more considerate human being. It reminded me that in order to receive you have to give and this was my time to give. Give back to those who supported me and give back to life just by being positive and taking each day as it comes. 

I couldn't argue with that takeaway which would come handy where ever life takes me next. What are your takeaways from the year gone by? Do share!

Until Next Time,

Your Life Analyst,

Chaitanya J.J. 




Comments

Popular Posts

Zamarrud Theatre Hyderabad

More than two decades ago a 5 year old boy (yours truly) found himself in Abids which was certainly then the microcosm of Hyderabad. Abids in the 80s <Courtesy: OkaTeluguAbbayi > The occasion was a family outing to Zamarrud Cinema. And we are stepping out for not just any movie my friends, my parents decided that nothing less than the Raj Kapoor blockbuster Chori Chori was good enough for us. To be honest I wasn't exactly enthused about watching a black and white film of a bygone era even though the movie had all the credentials of a classic. But that was before I saw Zamarrud, the theatre where the movie was being played. Nested in the heart of Abids, Zamarrud was the perfect amalgamation of Hyderabad's old world charm and new fangled ways. Zamarrud was not just any theatre, it was one of the first air conditioned halls in Hyderabad, a premiere cinema hall which used to host the best of what the film industry had to offer and the place to go for Hyderabad...

Three things which didn't work for me in Vishwanath & Sons

Plot Summary When a single father in his forties learns that his baby needs a bone marrow transplant, he reaches out to the child’s 20-year-old surrogate mother for help. What begins as a practical arrangement soon becomes an emotional journey that forces two people from different generations to confront their age difference, deeply ingrained ways of life, and growing connection. Suriya and Mamitha Baiju in Vishwanath & Sons Three things which didn't work for me Although I felt that the film handled the age difference between its leads in a largely progressive manner, there were a few elements that felt unnecessary or repetitive. Here are the things that didn’t quite work for me in Vishwanath & Sons . The whole Olympic shooting angle: The film opens with Sanjay Vishwanath ( Suriya ) winning a gold medal in shooting for India at the 2024 Paris Olympics. We are also told that this triumph comes after multiple failed attempts at previous editions of the Games. But apart from ...

Black Eagle (1988)

I have a soft corner in my heart for the action films of the eighties . I am also a huge fan of movies where stars are cast against type ( see Vera Cruz ). So, when I got a chance to watch 1988's  Black Eagle  pitting international action star Jean-Claude Van Damme as the 'villain' against acclaimed martial arts guru Sho Kosugi ,   I just couldn't let it pass by. Black Eagle 1988 Plot When a US F-111 jet carrying a laser tracking device goes missing in the Mediterranean, agent Ken Tani (Sho Kosugi) code-named ' Black Eagle ' is summoned to retrieve the device before the Soviet KGB acquires it. Ken unwillingly lands in Malta and is immediately targeted by Soviet Agent Andrei (Jean-Claude Van Damme). Will Ken acquire the tracking device? Who wins? (Guess that answer is obvious!) The Cliches Cliches are the life and soul of action movies. When you have a martial arts movie in the spy genre those cliches only double. So here are all the noteworthy cli...

10 Random Things about the First IPL

It's IPL time, the time of the year where cricket turns from a gentleman's game into a three ringed circus for the stars, the people and the players. It's hard to believe that it's been 10 long years since the IPL started but I just seem to remember it like yesterday. As soon I thought about the first IPL I remembered some tight finishes, some great performances, raw emotion, glamour that was on display and some utterly forgettable moments. So here are 10 random things I remember about the first IPL: Teams of the first IPL <Courtesy: Reddit > Akshay Kumar , the brand ambassador (Oh! the brand ambassadors was one way franchises burnt their hard earned money during the first IPL) for Delhi Daredevils (DD) zip-lined his way into the ground for an IPL match. DD followed his example of daredevilry all throughout the league phase before their stunt went all wrong crashing them into the ground in the semis .            Ricky Ponting (yes he p...

Mr. Perfect as the WWE World Champion in 1993 (Part 1)

Mr. Perfect was one of the hottest acts in the WWF at the end of 1992. He made a triumphant return at Survivor Series, teaming with Macho Man Randy Savage against Ric Flair and Razor Ramon, and immediately became a thorn in the side of the former champion. But what if the WWF had kept that momentum going into 1993? What if Mr. Perfect’s body had held up to the demands of the schedule? And what if the company had gone all the way and crowned him WWF Champion? Today, we’re exploring that fantasy-booking scenario and imagining how different the wrestling landscape of 1993 might have looked if Mr. Perfect had been given the chance to carry the title. 1993 Royal Rumble Our first stop on this fantasy-booking journey is the 1993 Royal Rumble, with Mr. Perfect entering the match while still embroiled in his feud with Ric Flair and Razor Ramon. Mr. Perfect enters the Royal Rumble at No. 10 and lasts all the way to the finish, eliminating Ric Flair, Jerry Lawler, Skinner and “The Model” Rick M...