Skip to main content

Tomas Berdych vs Feliciano Lopez

It was a perfectly drab morning and I was gearing up for the day ahead by peering through the sports headlines. Nothing exciting struck me until I laid my eyes upon an ongoing quarterfinal match at The Queen's Club Championship between Tomas Berdych and Feliciano Lopez. Now Berdych vs Lopez is not exactly a match-up to crave about like Federer vs Nadal. Both men are in their 30's which is the age where most players retire. Both men are seemingly past their prime and both haven't exactly set the tennis world on fire in the recent past. If it was another day or time I would have moved on to do something else but today was different, I decided to go ahead and watch the match. You ask me why? I still wonder why?

Is it because that both Berdych and Lopez are genuine grass court players?

Is it because that on their day both men are extremely dangerous players?

Is it because that it was a match up of styles between the power of Berdych and the silken finesse of Lopez?

Is it because that I was quite frankly bored and would lap up anything which was going on at that time?

Tomas Berdych vs Feliciano Lopez

The questions were many but yours truly just didn't bother to answer them. There was a match to watch and I set about watching it. I picked up the action in the second set tiebreak. Lopez won the first set in a tiebreak and the second set tiebreak was being dominated by Berdych. Before I could blink Berdych won the second set and we were one set apiece. Up until that time there were no service breaks and both players found it difficult to earn even a break point on the other's serve. The third set proceeded on serve until the 10th game when the match came to life.

Trailing 5-4, Lopez's serve wavered in the wind and his nerves gave away to hand Berdych a match point. At 30-40, Lopez was just one stroke away from defeat when he faulted his first serve. On the second serve Berdych planted a forehand which almost seemed to seal his win until Lopez retrieved the ball with a cross court backhand slice. Berdych made a valiant attempt to bring the ball into play but the ball just seemed to die on him. Having regained the momentum, Lopez hit one more backhand slice to seal the game and make it five all

It was now the turn of Berdych to be troubled by both the wind and his own nerves. An uncharacteristic double fault  and some unforced errors handed Lopez the break point. Trailing 30-40, Berdych dished out his best serve by angling the ball into Lopez and moved forward to close out the point at the net. Lopez fell back on his trusted cross court backhand to rally past Berdych. For a moment both sides felt that they had won the point as the ball just seemed to land on or miss the line depending upon whom you asked. The line judge called the ball 'out' triggering relief for Berdych while Lopez challenged the call hoping to tilt the verdict in his favor.

The Hawk-Eye showed that the ball had scraped the line by the tiniest of fractions handing the game over to an ecstatic Lopez and deflating Berdych. Lopez capitalized on the lucky break and served out the match to win 7-6, 6-7, 6-4. There were no wild celebrations from Lopez as he knew only a fraction separated him from his opponent. Both the players exchanged a gracious hand shake at the net and soaked in the thunderous applause which was afforded to them by the rapturous crowd.

Berdych vs Lopez might never be considered a classic and the sands of time might even forget this match. But I will always remember this match for giving me the best 10 minutes of any recent match I saw. I will remember Lopez's penchant to innovate in the face of certain defeat and will recall how technology through Hawk-Eye highlighted a fraction which separated two equals.



All you tennis fans out there, please don't miss out on watching the build up to Wimbledon. There are mouth watering clashes everyday and the quality of tennis is just great. For once forget the stars just follow your gut instinct and pick a match to watch just like I did. You may never know the gems you might unearth. So happy viewing and do drop in a comment if a match piques your interest.

Until Next Time,

Yours Always,
J.J. Chaitanya 

The Aftermath 

Feliciano Lopez continued his form in the semis. He beat 11th seed Grigor Dimitrov (who beat him in 2014 final of The Queen's Club Championships)  in three extremely competitive sets (once again a backhand from Lopez triggered the error from Dimitrov). If that wasn't enough in the finals he bested 7th seeded Marin Cilic (the man whom he hadn't beaten since 2010) in three thrilling sets 4-6, 7-6, 7-6 to win his first ATP 500 world series tournament. Lopez saved a match point at five all in the deciding tiebreak only to see Cilic come back and save a match point of his own. The game hung in balance but Lopez held onto his nerves to to capitalize on Cilic's errant forehand and seal the victory.  

                               

There's a reason why The Queen's Club Championship (Aegon Championships) was adjudged the best ATP 500 world series tournament of the year. No other tournament this year produced as many great tennis matches as The Queen's Club did. We have a deserving winner whose comeback deserves a place in history. While the focus firmly remains on Roger Federer's comeback at 35, I for one am following Feliciano Lopez's back from the brink story at 35. The euphoria of Lopez's parents when he won the tournament took me back into the memory lane and reminded me of Ivanisevic's father whose eyes swelled up with pride when his son finally won a major. Hats off Feliciano Lopez, you proved once again that life always reveals its magic to those who persevere and thank you for presenting all of us with one of the most incredible sporting moments of 2017. 




Comments

Popular Posts

Mahabharata by C.Rajagopalachari

There are books which you read and then there are books which make you read them and change your life. Chakravarthi Rajagopalachari's (Rajaji's) Mahabharata belongs to the latter category. Mahabharata introduced me to the joy of reading books as a kid and today I couldn't have picked a better topic for my 25th post. I cannot describe what a pleasure and honor it is to extol the virtues of this classic book during this holy festive season of  Makar Sankranti . Mahabharata by C.Rajagopalachari The story of Mahabharata is as old as the mountains and has been retold several times. Mahabharata by Rajaji however stands out in my mind because here is a story which is spiritual yet not religious, is thought provoking yet not preachy, is compelling yet not tedious. The story left an indelible impression upon me for several reasons which are: Rajaji uses extremely simple language to convey some of the finer aspects of the saga. I was 10 years old when I read Mahabharata

KBR National Park

In the midst of the hustle and bustle of the fifth largest city in India - Hyderabad lies KBR (Kasu Brahmananda Reddy) National Park . It's difficult to imagine a natural habitat in the center of a concrete jungle but that's exactly what KBR park is - an oasis in middle of an urban desert . One of Hyderabad's prized tourist attractions which in my opinion doesn't get the attention it deserves. The Entrance I don't remember when I first noticed the park but it soon became a sight which I couldn't miss during the course of my everyday commute to work. I always wondered what lay beyond the entrance but never found the time to check it out for myself until last year. But let me back up a bit, there's a back story to my first visit to the park. In my ' Count Your Blessings ' post, I talked about how a walk around my office building started a positive change in my life. That incident made ' walking ' a fixture in my everyday ro

Zamarrud Theatre Hyderabad

More than two decades ago a 5 year old boy (yours truly) found himself in Abids which was certainly then the microcosm of Hyderabad. Abids in the 80s <Courtesy: OkaTeluguAbbayi > The occasion was a family outing to Zamarrud Cinema. And we are stepping out for not just any movie my friends, my parents decided that nothing less than the Raj Kapoor blockbuster Chori Chori was good enough for us. To be honest I wasn't exactly enthused about watching a black and white film of a bygone era even though the movie had all the credentials of a classic. But that was before I saw Zamarrud, the theatre where the movie was being played. Nested in the heart of Abids, Zamarrud was the perfect amalgamation of Hyderabad's old world charm and new fangled ways. Zamarrud was not just any theatre, it was one of the first air conditioned halls in Hyderabad, a premiere cinema hall which used to host the best of what the film industry had to offer and the place to go for Hyderabad'

Chhatrapati Shivaji Biography - Challenging Destiny by Medha Deshmukh-Bhaskaran

I guess it was destiny that the 150th post of Life Etc Etc had to be about Shri Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj. Shivaji rose like a phoenix from humble beginnings in the 17th century and laid the foundation for the Maratha empire which changed the course of  history. The history I studied at school restricted his life and achievements to a single chapter and quite erroneously credited the British Rule with the decline of the Mughal empire. I found out later on that it was in fact the Marathas under the able leadership of Shivaji who hastened the Mughal empire's downfall. They were the preeminent power whom the British had to checkmate in order to wrest control of the Indian subcontinent. Despite such monumental achievements my history syllabi had very little information about Shivaji. It was therefore a no-brainer for me to pick up this book and discover for myself why the history of India would never be complete without the mention of Shivaji.  In order to understand any historical c

Black Eagle (1988)

I have a soft corner in my heart for the action films of the eighties . I am also a huge fan of movies where stars are cast against type ( see Vera Cruz ). So, when I got a chance to watch 1988's  Black Eagle  pitting international action star Jean-Claude Van Damme as the 'villain' against acclaimed martial arts guru Sho Kosugi ,   I just couldn't let it pass by. Black Eagle 1988 Plot When a US F-111 jet carrying a laser tracking device goes missing in the Mediterranean, agent Ken Tani (Sho Kosugi) code-named ' Black Eagle ' is summoned to retrieve the device before the Soviet KGB acquires it. Ken unwillingly lands in Malta and is immediately targeted by Soviet Agent Andrei (Jean-Claude Van Damme). Will Ken acquire the tracking device? Who wins? (Guess that answer is obvious!) The Cliches Cliches are the life and soul of action movies. When you have a martial arts movie in the spy genre those cliches only double. So here are all the noteworthy cli