Skip to main content

The Spirit of Olympics

Every four years Olympics graces our homes, lights up our expectations and leaves us with painful memories. The pain of near misses, shattered dreams and unfulfilled ambitions lingers and reignites itself every time a member of the Indian contingent falls at the last hurdle and every time India's performance at the Olympics is discussed. I still remember Dhanraj Pillay's tears when Poland scored a late equalizer in the 2000 Sydney Olympics to nip India's medal chances. In the stinging rain Dhanraj slumped to the ground as though he was appealing to the rain gods for one more chance.

That moment never left me because I could feel Dhanraj's agony and was disconsolate that a team as good as the one we had was returning home empty handed. While the pain is real what's even more real is the respect that each and every contender who has given their heart and soul for the nation deserves. Yes Dipa Karmakar, Satish Sivalingam, Abhinav Bindra, Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna deserve respect. Why only them? Lalita Babar for breaking the National Record and reaching the 3000 meters Final, Vikas Krishan & Manoj Kumar for beating worthy contenders with zero assistance from a non-existent boxing federation and Dutee Chand for fighting a lengthy legal battle just to make it to Olympics deserve our kudos and appreciation.


They say 'History is created by Victors'. Now 'Victors' in that quote refers to not only those who win medals but also those who surmount life's obstacles in pursuit of their dreams. India might not have a medal haul at Olympics which rivals the top nations but it does have innumerable soul stirring stories of contenders who put everything they had at stake to win a medal and make the nation proud. When it comes to these soul stirring stories India might well trump every other country in the world. Come to think of it I have more reasons to be proud rather than to be sad. Indian athletes might not have won medals but have come really close and have given a good account of themselves across a number of different events. Judging by the sheer all round performance this could very well be India's best Olympics to date.



As 2016 Olympics comes to a close, here's a silent pledge I make to myself:
  • Medal or no medal, I will continue to salute the Olympians from my country. 
  • Medal or no medal, my respect for these Olympians shall not diminish.
  • Medal or no medal, I shall not allow the dark corners of history to devour the sacrifices of these athletes.
  • Medal or no medal, my hope for a better tomorrow shall not be put off by the results of today.
  • Medal or no medal, I know India the cradle of civilization will continue to harvest great talent who will one day leave an indelible mark on the sands of time.
  • Medal or no medal, I will keep reminding myself that Spirit of Olympics is in the wholehearted performance of athletes and not just in their victories or defeats.
May that Spirit of Olympics keep burning in all of us and inspire us to achieve greater heights.

Until Next Time,

Your Fan of Olympics,
J.J. Chaitanya  

Comments

Popular Posts

Zamarrud Theatre Hyderabad

More than two decades ago a 5 year old boy (yours truly) found himself in Abids which was certainly then the microcosm of Hyderabad. Abids in the 80s <Courtesy: OkaTeluguAbbayi > The occasion was a family outing to Zamarrud Cinema. And we are stepping out for not just any movie my friends, my parents decided that nothing less than the Raj Kapoor blockbuster Chori Chori was good enough for us. To be honest I wasn't exactly enthused about watching a black and white film of a bygone era even though the movie had all the credentials of a classic. But that was before I saw Zamarrud, the theatre where the movie was being played. Nested in the heart of Abids, Zamarrud was the perfect amalgamation of Hyderabad's old world charm and new fangled ways. Zamarrud was not just any theatre, it was one of the first air conditioned halls in Hyderabad, a premiere cinema hall which used to host the best of what the film industry had to offer and the place to go for Hyderabad...

KBR National Park

In the midst of the hustle and bustle of the fifth largest city in India - Hyderabad lies KBR (Kasu Brahmananda Reddy) National Park . It's difficult to imagine a natural habitat in the center of a concrete jungle but that's exactly what KBR park is - an oasis in middle of an urban desert . One of Hyderabad's prized tourist attractions which in my opinion doesn't get the attention it deserves. The Entrance <Courtesy: Andhra Aroma > I don't remember when I first noticed the park but it soon became a sight which I couldn't miss during the course of my everyday commute to work. I always wondered what lay beyond the entrance but never found the time to check it out for myself until last year. But let me back up a bit, there's a back story to my first visit to the park. In my ' Count Your Blessings ' post, I talked about how a walk around my office building started a positive change in my life. That incident made ' walking ' ...

Three things which didn't work for me in Vishwanath & Sons

Plot Summary When a single father in his forties learns that his baby needs a bone marrow transplant, he reaches out to the child’s 20-year-old surrogate mother for help. What begins as a practical arrangement soon becomes an emotional journey that forces two people from different generations to confront their age difference, deeply ingrained ways of life, and growing connection. Suriya and Mamitha Baiju in Vishwanath & Sons Three things which didn't work for me Although I felt that the film handled the age difference between its leads in a largely progressive manner, there were a few elements that felt unnecessary or repetitive. Here are the things that didn’t quite work for me in Vishwanath & Sons . The whole Olympic shooting angle: The film opens with Sanjay Vishwanath ( Suriya ) winning a gold medal in shooting for India at the 2024 Paris Olympics. We are also told that this triumph comes after multiple failed attempts at previous editions of the Games. But apart from ...

10 Random Things about the First IPL

It's IPL time, the time of the year where cricket turns from a gentleman's game into a three ringed circus for the stars, the people and the players. It's hard to believe that it's been 10 long years since the IPL started but I just seem to remember it like yesterday. As soon I thought about the first IPL I remembered some tight finishes, some great performances, raw emotion, glamour that was on display and some utterly forgettable moments. So here are 10 random things I remember about the first IPL: Teams of the first IPL <Courtesy: Reddit > Akshay Kumar , the brand ambassador (Oh! the brand ambassadors was one way franchises burnt their hard earned money during the first IPL) for Delhi Daredevils (DD) zip-lined his way into the ground for an IPL match. DD followed his example of daredevilry all throughout the league phase before their stunt went all wrong crashing them into the ground in the semis .            Ricky Ponting (yes he p...

Black Eagle (1988)

I have a soft corner in my heart for the action films of the eighties . I am also a huge fan of movies where stars are cast against type ( see Vera Cruz ). So, when I got a chance to watch 1988's  Black Eagle  pitting international action star Jean-Claude Van Damme as the 'villain' against acclaimed martial arts guru Sho Kosugi ,   I just couldn't let it pass by. Black Eagle 1988 Plot When a US F-111 jet carrying a laser tracking device goes missing in the Mediterranean, agent Ken Tani (Sho Kosugi) code-named ' Black Eagle ' is summoned to retrieve the device before the Soviet KGB acquires it. Ken unwillingly lands in Malta and is immediately targeted by Soviet Agent Andrei (Jean-Claude Van Damme). Will Ken acquire the tracking device? Who wins? (Guess that answer is obvious!) The Cliches Cliches are the life and soul of action movies. When you have a martial arts movie in the spy genre those cliches only double. So here are all the noteworthy cli...