Skip to main content

Perry Mason - The Case of the Drowning Duck

Perry Mason: The Case of the Drowning Duck
We live in the times of the antihero. Grey is the new white now and it has become increasingly cool for our protagonists to repeatedly toe the line between good and bad. Nobody stands for anything anymore which makes it all the more difficult to root for such characters. That's probably the reason why I had to go back to Perry Mason. Mason, his confidante Della Street and the ever dependable Paul Drake are a crimefighting unit whom you can get behind in their pursuit of justice. A Perry Mason book comes with the guarantee of justice being served at the end, I just had to find out how the justice was meted out to the perpetrators.  
 
Plot: John Witherspoon, the wealthy rancher doesn't think too much of his daughter Lois' love interest, Marvin Adams, a science student with no discernible family lineage. When Witherspoon digs into the past of his daughter's suitor, he finds that Marvin's father was convicted of murdering his business partner. Unable to come to terms with this discovery, Witherspoon seeks the help of the one and only Perry Mason to save his family name and also his daughter's future. 

First list of characters from The Case of the Drowning Duck
Mason straightaway identifies several loopholes with the way the old case was handled and entrusts his detective aide, Paul Drake with pulling out all the facts that were glossed over previously. One major point which was overlooked at that time was the statement from Marvin's father where he reported that his partner was having an illicit affair. Unveiling the identity of the woman becomes crucial for establishing the veracity of the claims made by Marvin's father but before they get somewhere they are confronted with the murder of Leslie Milter, the private detective whom Witherspoon had hired to rake up Marvin's past. At the scene of the crime is a duck which could implicate Marvin Adams who is quite well known for a scientific experiment involving ducks. There's also an eyewitness who vouches that she has seen a man flee the scene of the crime.

Second list of characters from The Case of the Drowning Duck
Mason first has to decide whether there's a dark heart behind Marvin's easygoing exterior while contending with the possibility that Leslie was silenced in order to permanently halt certain facts associated with the old case from coming out into the open. 

Then there's the mysterious Mrs. Burr, who is staying along with her husband at Witherspoon's house and is displaying an inordinate amount of interest in him. Mason also has to ascertain whether she has something to do with what happened all those years ago. Things get further complicated when the contentious relationship between Mason and Witherspoon reaches a head when Witherspoon alleges Marvin's hand in Leslie's murder.  Before he makes good on his accusation, he himself is accused of another crime which he vehemently denies. Mason can only be a bystander in the court proceedings as Witherspoon hires another legal counsel for his defense. Can Mason save the day and resolve not one, not two but three crimes which could all be interlinked?  

Conclusion

If you are a fan of deductive reasoning then you shouldn't miss out on reading this piece. More than the mystery, I was drawn into how Mason comes up with his premises and then goes about validating them. What's also fascinating is the way Mason assembles disparate pieces of information to paint a conclusive sketch of what might have happened. The logic which was employed coupled with the twists kept me engrossed.  If you haven't touched a book in a while and are looking to get back to your book reading habit, then you should pick this one. It harkens back to the good old days of morally upright characters doing their utmost to keep others out of trouble.  

Rated: Time Pass

Until Next Time,

Your Mystery Book Lover.








Comments

Popular Posts

Mahabharata by C.Rajagopalachari

There are books which you read and then there are books which make you read them and change your life. Chakravarthi Rajagopalachari's (Rajaji's) Mahabharata belongs to the latter category. Mahabharata introduced me to the joy of reading books as a kid and today I couldn't have picked a better topic for my 25th post. I cannot describe what a pleasure and honor it is to extol the virtues of this classic book during this holy festive season of  Makar Sankranti . Mahabharata by C.Rajagopalachari The story of Mahabharata is as old as the mountains and has been retold several times. Mahabharata by Rajaji however stands out in my mind because here is a story which is spiritual yet not religious, is thought provoking yet not preachy, is compelling yet not tedious. The story left an indelible impression upon me for several reasons which are: Rajaji uses extremely simple language to convey some of the finer aspects of the saga. I was 10 years old when I read Mahabharata

KBR National Park

In the midst of the hustle and bustle of the fifth largest city in India - Hyderabad lies KBR (Kasu Brahmananda Reddy) National Park . It's difficult to imagine a natural habitat in the center of a concrete jungle but that's exactly what KBR park is - an oasis in middle of an urban desert . One of Hyderabad's prized tourist attractions which in my opinion doesn't get the attention it deserves. The Entrance I don't remember when I first noticed the park but it soon became a sight which I couldn't miss during the course of my everyday commute to work. I always wondered what lay beyond the entrance but never found the time to check it out for myself until last year. But let me back up a bit, there's a back story to my first visit to the park. In my ' Count Your Blessings ' post, I talked about how a walk around my office building started a positive change in my life. That incident made ' walking ' a fixture in my everyday ro

Zamarrud Theatre Hyderabad

More than two decades ago a 5 year old boy (yours truly) found himself in Abids which was certainly then the microcosm of Hyderabad. Abids in the 80s <Courtesy: OkaTeluguAbbayi > The occasion was a family outing to Zamarrud Cinema. And we are stepping out for not just any movie my friends, my parents decided that nothing less than the Raj Kapoor blockbuster Chori Chori was good enough for us. To be honest I wasn't exactly enthused about watching a black and white film of a bygone era even though the movie had all the credentials of a classic. But that was before I saw Zamarrud, the theatre where the movie was being played. Nested in the heart of Abids, Zamarrud was the perfect amalgamation of Hyderabad's old world charm and new fangled ways. Zamarrud was not just any theatre, it was one of the first air conditioned halls in Hyderabad, a premiere cinema hall which used to host the best of what the film industry had to offer and the place to go for Hyderabad'

Black Eagle (1988)

I have a soft corner in my heart for the action films of the eighties . I am also a huge fan of movies where stars are cast against type ( see Vera Cruz ). So, when I got a chance to watch 1988's  Black Eagle  pitting international action star Jean-Claude Van Damme as the 'villain' against acclaimed martial arts guru Sho Kosugi ,   I just couldn't let it pass by. Black Eagle 1988 Plot When a US F-111 jet carrying a laser tracking device goes missing in the Mediterranean, agent Ken Tani (Sho Kosugi) code-named ' Black Eagle ' is summoned to retrieve the device before the Soviet KGB acquires it. Ken unwillingly lands in Malta and is immediately targeted by Soviet Agent Andrei (Jean-Claude Van Damme). Will Ken acquire the tracking device? Who wins? (Guess that answer is obvious!) The Cliches Cliches are the life and soul of action movies. When you have a martial arts movie in the spy genre those cliches only double. So here are all the noteworthy cli

My Time with Kalam

Wednesday, May 13th, 2015 started off like any other day. I was getting ready for the office when my phone rang. I picked up the phone to hear my good friend Raghu's voice. Raghu immediately announced " Buddy we have a meeting with Dr. Abdul Kalam today at 10 PM, in Raj Bhavan . You have to be there. " It took me more than a minute to assimilate everything that Raghu had just said. Somewhere something didn't seem right, how can two ordinary people meet up with The   Former   President of India just like that. I was instantly worried that this was a practical joke that somebody decided to play on both of us. Raghu for his part reassured me that this was a real invite  and urged me to not miss out on this date with destiny .  A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, the legend <Courtesy: Dhristiias > The rest of the day passed away in a blur. I didn't let any one except my family members know about this chance meeting because I myself hadn't come to terms with what