Skip to main content

World Cup 2019 - The dream ends

I woke up to a morning which no other Indian fan would have liked to wake up to. Chasing a modest total India were 100-odd for six wickets. There was a faint ray of hope however in the form of Jadeja and Dhoni. An hour later when I reached the office that ray of hope burnt like a flame when the partnership brought the target down to about 40 runs. But it didn't last much longer when everything was snuffed out in the matter of a few deliveries.

2019 World Cup Semifinal: When Jadeja and Dhoni kept us in the hunt
2019 World Cup Semifinal: When Jadeja and Dhoni kept us in the hunt <Courtesy: ICC>

The first thing I did after the match was to attend my morning meeting, thinking that only some positivity in the form of work would allow me to drown the negativity of this defeat. The next thing I did was to reach out to my brother whom I knew had watched the match in its entirety. I also tried to console my best friend who was disconsolate that India had come so close only to lose the match. I  naturally felt bad for the disappointment they experienced but I found that the heaviness in my heart dissipated when I shared their dismay.

Today, I take time to remember that little kid who was heartbroken when India lost to Australia by a single run, that boy who was grief stricken when India collapsed like a heap before Sri Lankan spin, that teenager who was anguished by what Henry Olonga's magic did to India and that youth who was mortified that India didn't couldn't even survive the group stage in the 2007 World Cup. We Indian fans have been through a lot but as a grown man today I shall not allow myself to dwell for too long over a game. A lot of things in this life are transient, while this defeat is painful it doesn't change anything in the grand scheme of things. The future of Indian Cricket is secure with some good players and the future of our country and this world is secure with all of us.

In closing, my heart goes out to all the hardcore Indian Cricket Fans out there who invest their time, money, hopes and emotions to see India over the line every time. The sorrow you feel is unimaginable but I urge you to support your fellow countrymen who are grieving just the way you are. Let not hatred of any kind diminish the festivity and joie de vivre you brought to this world cup. Each and everyone of us is a representative of this great country, let's move on from this and prove that bigger things are ours to be. 

Until Next Time,

Your Fellow Cricket Fan,
J.J. Chaitanya

PS:
  • We didn't find a settled middle order, we weren't able to accelerate in the final overs and whenever the big guns failed we struggled. We never really addressed our frailties, guess this result was always on the cards. 
  • In the evening today, I went to my scrabble club and lost a game by 19 points. The last wicket for India fell with 19 runs more to get, in defeat I paid my tribute once again to the Indian Team of World Cup 2019. 
  • After returning home, I had a conversation with my mother who had watched the entire match along with my brother and father. When I asked her whether she was disappointed, she smiled and said, "No, we gave our best and took it till the end. That's the only thing which matters!" I couldn't argue with that sentiment and silently marveled at her wisdom.
So long folks! The dream was good as long as it lasted. Now's the time for another dream.

Comments

Popular Posts

Zamarrud Theatre Hyderabad

More than two decades ago a 5 year old boy (yours truly) found himself in Abids which was certainly then the microcosm of Hyderabad. Abids in the 80s <Courtesy: OkaTeluguAbbayi > The occasion was a family outing to Zamarrud Cinema. And we are stepping out for not just any movie my friends, my parents decided that nothing less than the Raj Kapoor blockbuster Chori Chori was good enough for us. To be honest I wasn't exactly enthused about watching a black and white film of a bygone era even though the movie had all the credentials of a classic. But that was before I saw Zamarrud, the theatre where the movie was being played. Nested in the heart of Abids, Zamarrud was the perfect amalgamation of Hyderabad's old world charm and new fangled ways. Zamarrud was not just any theatre, it was one of the first air conditioned halls in Hyderabad, a premiere cinema hall which used to host the best of what the film industry had to offer and the place to go for Hyderabad...

Three things which didn't work for me in Vishwanath & Sons

Plot Summary When a single father in his forties learns that his baby needs a bone marrow transplant, he reaches out to the child’s 20-year-old surrogate mother for help. What begins as a practical arrangement soon becomes an emotional journey that forces two people from different generations to confront their age difference, deeply ingrained ways of life, and growing connection. Suriya and Mamitha Baiju in Vishwanath & Sons Three things which didn't work for me Although I felt that the film handled the age difference between its leads in a largely progressive manner, there were a few elements that felt unnecessary or repetitive. Here are the things that didn’t quite work for me in Vishwanath & Sons . The whole Olympic shooting angle: The film opens with Sanjay Vishwanath ( Suriya ) winning a gold medal in shooting for India at the 2024 Paris Olympics. We are also told that this triumph comes after multiple failed attempts at previous editions of the Games. But apart from ...

Black Eagle (1988)

I have a soft corner in my heart for the action films of the eighties . I am also a huge fan of movies where stars are cast against type ( see Vera Cruz ). So, when I got a chance to watch 1988's  Black Eagle  pitting international action star Jean-Claude Van Damme as the 'villain' against acclaimed martial arts guru Sho Kosugi ,   I just couldn't let it pass by. Black Eagle 1988 Plot When a US F-111 jet carrying a laser tracking device goes missing in the Mediterranean, agent Ken Tani (Sho Kosugi) code-named ' Black Eagle ' is summoned to retrieve the device before the Soviet KGB acquires it. Ken unwillingly lands in Malta and is immediately targeted by Soviet Agent Andrei (Jean-Claude Van Damme). Will Ken acquire the tracking device? Who wins? (Guess that answer is obvious!) The Cliches Cliches are the life and soul of action movies. When you have a martial arts movie in the spy genre those cliches only double. So here are all the noteworthy cli...

10 Random Things about the First IPL

It's IPL time, the time of the year where cricket turns from a gentleman's game into a three ringed circus for the stars, the people and the players. It's hard to believe that it's been 10 long years since the IPL started but I just seem to remember it like yesterday. As soon I thought about the first IPL I remembered some tight finishes, some great performances, raw emotion, glamour that was on display and some utterly forgettable moments. So here are 10 random things I remember about the first IPL: Teams of the first IPL <Courtesy: Reddit > Akshay Kumar , the brand ambassador (Oh! the brand ambassadors was one way franchises burnt their hard earned money during the first IPL) for Delhi Daredevils (DD) zip-lined his way into the ground for an IPL match. DD followed his example of daredevilry all throughout the league phase before their stunt went all wrong crashing them into the ground in the semis .            Ricky Ponting (yes he p...

Mr. Perfect as the WWE World Champion in 1993 (Part 1)

Mr. Perfect was one of the hottest acts in the WWF at the end of 1992. He made a triumphant return at Survivor Series, teaming with Macho Man Randy Savage against Ric Flair and Razor Ramon, and immediately became a thorn in the side of the former champion. But what if the WWF had kept that momentum going into 1993? What if Mr. Perfect’s body had held up to the demands of the schedule? And what if the company had gone all the way and crowned him WWF Champion? Today, we’re exploring that fantasy-booking scenario and imagining how different the wrestling landscape of 1993 might have looked if Mr. Perfect had been given the chance to carry the title. 1993 Royal Rumble Our first stop on this fantasy-booking journey is the 1993 Royal Rumble, with Mr. Perfect entering the match while still embroiled in his feud with Ric Flair and Razor Ramon. Mr. Perfect enters the Royal Rumble at No. 10 and lasts all the way to the finish, eliminating Ric Flair, Jerry Lawler, Skinner and “The Model” Rick M...