Skip to main content

Tews Falls, Webster Falls and Dundas Peak

The mind craves for outdoor recreation but where do you go? Fortunately Canada, the land of tranquil lakes and alluring regional parks has a number of avenues for trekking and outdoor activities.

Where: Hamilton, Ontario. half an hour drive from Toronto, Ontario.

Why:

 
Webster Falls


Tew Falls

Dundas Peak

Need I say Anymore? For the record:
  • Tew's Falls at 41 meters is just a wee bit shorter than Niagara Falls at 52 meters.  
  • Webster falls stands at 22 meters and the lush greenery surrounding the place is a sight for sore eyes. The walk leading up to the falls and the sight of the falls is one which I will certainly treasure for a long time.
  • Dundas Peak overlooking the Dundas town is a very popular selfie spot. The elevation of about 150 m with jagged rocks and a view of the Spencer Gorge is a nice place to rest and reminisce after a hard day's trek. 
Dundas Peak: Dangle your legs but not yourself


When to Visit: May to October.

For people travelling via Public Transit: The bus to Hamilton takes only about an hour from Toronto. You have to then take the local Hamilton city bus to reach the foothills of the destination. From there it's almost a 2 km walk uphill. Once you reach Webster Falls there is an internal shuttle (available at a small fee of $5) which will take you to Tew's Falls and back. But the trek near Webster falls and walk to Dundas Peak from Tew's Falls would be another 1.5-2 km. So if you commute by public transport be ready for a day where you walk at least 8 km and don't forget the water bottle.

For people travelling via Car: There are designated parking spots which will cost you $10. The internal shuttle (which I've mentioned above) will pick you up from these slots and drop you back. 

Caution: There are no barricades or fencing near the Dundas Peak. Those travelling with kids must be exercise caution and not let the children out of their sight when they reach areas of high elevation.

Is it a Must-See: Very much individual specific, you must be able to enjoy the long trek and forgo the side attractions which you find at places like the Niagara. If you have already seen Niagara falls and you have a day to spare (half if you have a car) for tourist attractions within vicinity of the city of Toronto then you should definitely try visiting these spots. Plus if photography, love of nature and trekking are staples of your outdoor recreational activities then these places are must-see for you. Don't forget to take your friends/family along, their happiness trust me will add to your own experience.

I hope I've piqued your interest and answered all your questions. If you have more then just drop a comment, I will be more than happy to answer. I wish you a great trip and please be careful while taking that selfie. 

Until Next Time,

Your Local Adventurer,
J.J. Chaitanya




Comments

Popular Posts

Zamarrud Theatre Hyderabad

More than two decades ago a 5 year old boy (yours truly) found himself in Abids which was certainly then the microcosm of Hyderabad. Abids in the 80s <Courtesy: OkaTeluguAbbayi > The occasion was a family outing to Zamarrud Cinema. And we are stepping out for not just any movie my friends, my parents decided that nothing less than the Raj Kapoor blockbuster Chori Chori was good enough for us. To be honest I wasn't exactly enthused about watching a black and white film of a bygone era even though the movie had all the credentials of a classic. But that was before I saw Zamarrud, the theatre where the movie was being played. Nested in the heart of Abids, Zamarrud was the perfect amalgamation of Hyderabad's old world charm and new fangled ways. Zamarrud was not just any theatre, it was one of the first air conditioned halls in Hyderabad, a premiere cinema hall which used to host the best of what the film industry had to offer and the place to go for Hyderabad...

Three things which didn't work for me in Vishwanath & Sons

Plot Summary When a single father in his forties learns that his baby needs a bone marrow transplant, he reaches out to the child’s 20-year-old surrogate mother for help. What begins as a practical arrangement soon becomes an emotional journey that forces two people from different generations to confront their age difference, deeply ingrained ways of life, and growing connection. Suriya and Mamitha Baiju in Vishwanath & Sons Three things which didn't work for me Although I felt that the film handled the age difference between its leads in a largely progressive manner, there were a few elements that felt unnecessary or repetitive. Here are the things that didn’t quite work for me in Vishwanath & Sons . The whole Olympic shooting angle: The film opens with Sanjay Vishwanath ( Suriya ) winning a gold medal in shooting for India at the 2024 Paris Olympics. We are also told that this triumph comes after multiple failed attempts at previous editions of the Games. But apart from ...

Black Eagle (1988)

I have a soft corner in my heart for the action films of the eighties . I am also a huge fan of movies where stars are cast against type ( see Vera Cruz ). So, when I got a chance to watch 1988's  Black Eagle  pitting international action star Jean-Claude Van Damme as the 'villain' against acclaimed martial arts guru Sho Kosugi ,   I just couldn't let it pass by. Black Eagle 1988 Plot When a US F-111 jet carrying a laser tracking device goes missing in the Mediterranean, agent Ken Tani (Sho Kosugi) code-named ' Black Eagle ' is summoned to retrieve the device before the Soviet KGB acquires it. Ken unwillingly lands in Malta and is immediately targeted by Soviet Agent Andrei (Jean-Claude Van Damme). Will Ken acquire the tracking device? Who wins? (Guess that answer is obvious!) The Cliches Cliches are the life and soul of action movies. When you have a martial arts movie in the spy genre those cliches only double. So here are all the noteworthy cli...

10 Random Things about the First IPL

It's IPL time, the time of the year where cricket turns from a gentleman's game into a three ringed circus for the stars, the people and the players. It's hard to believe that it's been 10 long years since the IPL started but I just seem to remember it like yesterday. As soon I thought about the first IPL I remembered some tight finishes, some great performances, raw emotion, glamour that was on display and some utterly forgettable moments. So here are 10 random things I remember about the first IPL: Teams of the first IPL <Courtesy: Reddit > Akshay Kumar , the brand ambassador (Oh! the brand ambassadors was one way franchises burnt their hard earned money during the first IPL) for Delhi Daredevils (DD) zip-lined his way into the ground for an IPL match. DD followed his example of daredevilry all throughout the league phase before their stunt went all wrong crashing them into the ground in the semis .            Ricky Ponting (yes he p...

Parmanu: The Story of Pokhran

Backdrop: I diligently avoid docudramas based on real incidents as they only rehash what we already know without adding anything new. That's precisely the reason why I avoided watching Parmanu all these weeks but it's been a while since I saw a movie and the lack of decent fair at the cinemas coupled with upbeat critical reviews for Parmanu finally cajoled me into watching it. Boy! Was I thrilled to watch a competent movie which was slick and gripping till the very end. The verdict is out first but keep reading as to what makes this movie a recommended watch . (Credits: IndiaToday.in ) Plot: It's 1995 and India is facing an existential crisis amidst mounting defensive and strategic pressures from it's neighboring countries. I.A.S. officer, Ashwat Raina ( John Abraham ), believes that India's road to political parity lies in establishing a nuclear program. The recommendation is taken up but Ashwat Raina's plan is not followed to the ' T', resu...