Skip to main content

The day the cup was lost!

As a sports fan, I have endured countless debacles over the last few decades. I still remember the Indian Cricket Team collapsing like a pack of cards in the 96' World Cup semi-final, can recall Dhanraj Pillay's tears when India lost a medal chance by a whisker in the 2000 Olympics, still dwell upon what would have happened if Saurav Ganguly elected to bat first instead of putting Australia in on a flat track in the 2003 Final and still find it hard to digest Andy Roddick's ultra narrow loss to Roger Federer in the 2009 Wimbledon Final. Every hurt is different, some fade away with time and some live on, only to flare up every time a similar incident happens.

A devasted Mithali Raj along with Harmanpreet Kaur 

Today those hurts of the past flared up again when an inexperienced but talented Indian team lost to an English team resembling a well oiled machinery. This was not just any match it was the World Cup Final and it was a final we were winning. As someone who had the misfortune of seeing the last 45 minutes of the match, I saw India tumble from a position of strength at 191/3 to 219 All Out. Years dumb your reactions, as a kid tears would swell up in my eyes whenever my favorite teams or players would lose. But as a grown up who has seen several ups and downs, I merely stared at the monitor with a poker face wondering what was going on in the minds of those poor girls who gave it their all only to be denied at the final step.

As a kid I never understood what hurt me most about a defeat. Today I know, more than the loss what hurts the most is seeing the dreams of athletes (you care so much about) turning to dust. What we fans feel is nothing compared to what the women of the Indian Cricket team feel at this present moment. Until a month ago I didn't even know that the cricket world cup for women was around the corner, until a fortnight ago I only knew the names of three players on the Indian team and today's match was only one of a handful of women's matches I had seen in the last decade. Now contrast my hurt to that of the Indian captain for whom this is probably the last world cup. Mithali Raj, the captain of the Indian Team and one of the foremost batters in the world spent the better part of the last decade and a half educating people like me about the power of the women's game and yet she doesn't get to walk away into the sunset with the trophy she so richly deserves.

Life is not fair and many times sport is not fair. V.V.S. Laxman for all his talent never played in a world cup, Ivan Lendl as great as a tennis player he was never won the Wimbledon, Milkha Singh the fastest middle distance runner of his time doesn't have a single Olympic medal next to his name. The fact that Mithali Raj and Jhulan Goswami might never have a world cup to their names pains me but there is one universal truth that gives me solace. Champions are not always defined by the titles they hold, the legacy they leave behind and the way they played their game would linger longer in public memory than the titles they won.

As an Indian, I would have loved to see India win the World Cup. While that didn't happen, I would still like the contributions of these brave women to never be forgotten. Yes, this team deserves tons of kudos for the way they played all throughout this tournament.  They came from nowhere and they had a legitimate crack at the biggest prize in cricket. Victory eluded them by a whisker but they gave their heart out. That's how I would like to remember this day where the cup was lost. As for Mithali and Jhulan my heart would always feel a certain pinch knowing that they haven't ticked the World Champion column but the sting of the pinch would always subside with the knowledge that these ladies have left legendary legacies for an entire nation to emulate.

Until Next Time,

Yours Hopefully,
J.J. Chaitanya

Comments

Popular Posts

Zamarrud Theatre Hyderabad

More than two decades ago a 5 year old boy (yours truly) found himself in Abids which was certainly then the microcosm of Hyderabad. Abids in the 80s <Courtesy: OkaTeluguAbbayi > The occasion was a family outing to Zamarrud Cinema. And we are stepping out for not just any movie my friends, my parents decided that nothing less than the Raj Kapoor blockbuster Chori Chori was good enough for us. To be honest I wasn't exactly enthused about watching a black and white film of a bygone era even though the movie had all the credentials of a classic. But that was before I saw Zamarrud, the theatre where the movie was being played. Nested in the heart of Abids, Zamarrud was the perfect amalgamation of Hyderabad's old world charm and new fangled ways. Zamarrud was not just any theatre, it was one of the first air conditioned halls in Hyderabad, a premiere cinema hall which used to host the best of what the film industry had to offer and the place to go for Hyderabad...

Three things which didn't work for me in Vishwanath & Sons

Plot Summary When a single father in his forties learns that his baby needs a bone marrow transplant, he reaches out to the child’s 20-year-old surrogate mother for help. What begins as a practical arrangement soon becomes an emotional journey that forces two people from different generations to confront their age difference, deeply ingrained ways of life, and growing connection. Suriya and Mamitha Baiju in Vishwanath & Sons Three things which didn't work for me Although I felt that the film handled the age difference between its leads in a largely progressive manner, there were a few elements that felt unnecessary or repetitive. Here are the things that didn’t quite work for me in Vishwanath & Sons . The whole Olympic shooting angle: The film opens with Sanjay Vishwanath ( Suriya ) winning a gold medal in shooting for India at the 2024 Paris Olympics. We are also told that this triumph comes after multiple failed attempts at previous editions of the Games. But apart from ...

Black Eagle (1988)

I have a soft corner in my heart for the action films of the eighties . I am also a huge fan of movies where stars are cast against type ( see Vera Cruz ). So, when I got a chance to watch 1988's  Black Eagle  pitting international action star Jean-Claude Van Damme as the 'villain' against acclaimed martial arts guru Sho Kosugi ,   I just couldn't let it pass by. Black Eagle 1988 Plot When a US F-111 jet carrying a laser tracking device goes missing in the Mediterranean, agent Ken Tani (Sho Kosugi) code-named ' Black Eagle ' is summoned to retrieve the device before the Soviet KGB acquires it. Ken unwillingly lands in Malta and is immediately targeted by Soviet Agent Andrei (Jean-Claude Van Damme). Will Ken acquire the tracking device? Who wins? (Guess that answer is obvious!) The Cliches Cliches are the life and soul of action movies. When you have a martial arts movie in the spy genre those cliches only double. So here are all the noteworthy cli...

KBR National Park

In the midst of the hustle and bustle of the fifth largest city in India - Hyderabad lies KBR (Kasu Brahmananda Reddy) National Park . It's difficult to imagine a natural habitat in the center of a concrete jungle but that's exactly what KBR park is - an oasis in middle of an urban desert . One of Hyderabad's prized tourist attractions which in my opinion doesn't get the attention it deserves. The Entrance <Courtesy: Andhra Aroma > I don't remember when I first noticed the park but it soon became a sight which I couldn't miss during the course of my everyday commute to work. I always wondered what lay beyond the entrance but never found the time to check it out for myself until last year. But let me back up a bit, there's a back story to my first visit to the park. In my ' Count Your Blessings ' post, I talked about how a walk around my office building started a positive change in my life. That incident made ' walking ' ...

10 Random Things about the First IPL

It's IPL time, the time of the year where cricket turns from a gentleman's game into a three ringed circus for the stars, the people and the players. It's hard to believe that it's been 10 long years since the IPL started but I just seem to remember it like yesterday. As soon I thought about the first IPL I remembered some tight finishes, some great performances, raw emotion, glamour that was on display and some utterly forgettable moments. So here are 10 random things I remember about the first IPL: Teams of the first IPL <Courtesy: Reddit > Akshay Kumar , the brand ambassador (Oh! the brand ambassadors was one way franchises burnt their hard earned money during the first IPL) for Delhi Daredevils (DD) zip-lined his way into the ground for an IPL match. DD followed his example of daredevilry all throughout the league phase before their stunt went all wrong crashing them into the ground in the semis .            Ricky Ponting (yes he p...