Skip to main content

Sully (2016)

The Plot

On a cold January morning in 2009, Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger (Tom Hanks) commanding US Airways flight 1549 makes an emergency landing on the Hudson River, when the plane he's flying develops sudden engine trouble. The landing saves the lives of all the passengers (155 in total) on board and is hailed as a miracle by the public and media but not everyone is convinced about Sully's tactics. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) opens up an investigation on Sully and his first officer Jeff Skiles (Aaron Eckhart) to probe whether Sully actually considered the alternatives before taking the risk of landing on water. With mounting technical evidence against his decision, will Sully be able to vindicate himself in time before NTSB's judgement ends his career? Is Sully a real genius or someone who is way beyond his prime? Will the miracle of the Hudson River prove to be a major botch? Who is Sully? For the answers to all these questions you gotta watch Sully and trust me its worth every bit of your time.




The Fear

The phrase 'Based on a True Story' below a movie poster always sends chills down my spine. Real life stories which find their way to the movie screen usually tend to drown themselves in pathos or project mind numbing brutality which robs the audience of their peace of mind. I detest such movies with all my heart but Sully which is based on Capt. Chesley Sullenberger's real life experience is fortunately nothing of that sort. Sully also follows a non-linear pattern of story telling, another cinematic technique I abhor because of the confusion it wreaks on the audience. Sully luckily doesn't overuse this technique and the sudden flashbacks only serve to let us know the man Sully was and the circumstances behind his daring decision.

The Verdict

Sully exactly is cinema at it's finest. It's smart, simple, to the point and conveys a poignant message. The film could have easily been lost in the technical details surrounding an aircraft's malfunction but keeps the audience in it's mind and stays focused to end on a high note. It has terrific actors who slip into the skin of characters and tremendous star power in the form of Tom Hanks. Frankly there's no star in World Cinema who does as much for a role as Hanks does without yielding to the demands of stardom. I also tip my hat to Clint Eastwood, the director of the film who at 86 puts out a movie which directors a third of his age can't hope to match. I was a fan of Clint as an actor but I admire his direction much more now.

The Best Scene

All throughout the movie Tom Hank's Sully wears a stoic persona rarely prone to emotion. But all of that changes in the scene where Sully receives confirmation that all the passengers on board the flight were saved. This is the scene where Hank allows his eyes to do the talking. The eyes filled with moist emotion let you know how relieved he is to learn about everyone's safety. The scene is a master class in acting and probably the best scene in the movie according to me. 

Finally

The world we live in is filled with inspirational stories where ordinary men take extraordinary measures for the greater good of human kind. Sully brings to life one such story and showcases the triumph of human instinct over the convoluted reasoning of technology. Sully was never intended to be the theme for my 40th post but after watching the movie I realized there's nothing sully about Sully and I really had to pen a movie review on it. Before I bid you good bye, I do have one question for you, when was last time you watched a good movie? If your definition of a good movie matches with whatever I've written above go watch Sully. It will hold your attention and reinvigorate your belief in the power of quality cinema. Rated Must Watch!

Until Next Time,

Your Movie Buff,
J.J. Chaitanya

Comments

Popular Posts

Zamarrud Theatre Hyderabad

More than two decades ago a 5 year old boy (yours truly) found himself in Abids which was certainly then the microcosm of Hyderabad. Abids in the 80s <Courtesy: OkaTeluguAbbayi > The occasion was a family outing to Zamarrud Cinema. And we are stepping out for not just any movie my friends, my parents decided that nothing less than the Raj Kapoor blockbuster Chori Chori was good enough for us. To be honest I wasn't exactly enthused about watching a black and white film of a bygone era even though the movie had all the credentials of a classic. But that was before I saw Zamarrud, the theatre where the movie was being played. Nested in the heart of Abids, Zamarrud was the perfect amalgamation of Hyderabad's old world charm and new fangled ways. Zamarrud was not just any theatre, it was one of the first air conditioned halls in Hyderabad, a premiere cinema hall which used to host the best of what the film industry had to offer and the place to go for Hyderabad...

KBR National Park

In the midst of the hustle and bustle of the fifth largest city in India - Hyderabad lies KBR (Kasu Brahmananda Reddy) National Park . It's difficult to imagine a natural habitat in the center of a concrete jungle but that's exactly what KBR park is - an oasis in middle of an urban desert . One of Hyderabad's prized tourist attractions which in my opinion doesn't get the attention it deserves. The Entrance <Courtesy: Andhra Aroma > I don't remember when I first noticed the park but it soon became a sight which I couldn't miss during the course of my everyday commute to work. I always wondered what lay beyond the entrance but never found the time to check it out for myself until last year. But let me back up a bit, there's a back story to my first visit to the park. In my ' Count Your Blessings ' post, I talked about how a walk around my office building started a positive change in my life. That incident made ' walking ' ...

Three things which didn't work for me in Vishwanath & Sons

Plot Summary When a single father in his forties learns that his baby needs a bone marrow transplant, he reaches out to the child’s 20-year-old surrogate mother for help. What begins as a practical arrangement soon becomes an emotional journey that forces two people from different generations to confront their age difference, deeply ingrained ways of life, and growing connection. Suriya and Mamitha Baiju in Vishwanath & Sons Three things which didn't work for me Although I felt that the film handled the age difference between its leads in a largely progressive manner, there were a few elements that felt unnecessary or repetitive. Here are the things that didn’t quite work for me in Vishwanath & Sons . The whole Olympic shooting angle: The film opens with Sanjay Vishwanath ( Suriya ) winning a gold medal in shooting for India at the 2024 Paris Olympics. We are also told that this triumph comes after multiple failed attempts at previous editions of the Games. But apart from ...

Black Eagle (1988)

I have a soft corner in my heart for the action films of the eighties . I am also a huge fan of movies where stars are cast against type ( see Vera Cruz ). So, when I got a chance to watch 1988's  Black Eagle  pitting international action star Jean-Claude Van Damme as the 'villain' against acclaimed martial arts guru Sho Kosugi ,   I just couldn't let it pass by. Black Eagle 1988 Plot When a US F-111 jet carrying a laser tracking device goes missing in the Mediterranean, agent Ken Tani (Sho Kosugi) code-named ' Black Eagle ' is summoned to retrieve the device before the Soviet KGB acquires it. Ken unwillingly lands in Malta and is immediately targeted by Soviet Agent Andrei (Jean-Claude Van Damme). Will Ken acquire the tracking device? Who wins? (Guess that answer is obvious!) The Cliches Cliches are the life and soul of action movies. When you have a martial arts movie in the spy genre those cliches only double. So here are all the noteworthy cli...

10 Random Things about the First IPL

It's IPL time, the time of the year where cricket turns from a gentleman's game into a three ringed circus for the stars, the people and the players. It's hard to believe that it's been 10 long years since the IPL started but I just seem to remember it like yesterday. As soon I thought about the first IPL I remembered some tight finishes, some great performances, raw emotion, glamour that was on display and some utterly forgettable moments. So here are 10 random things I remember about the first IPL: Teams of the first IPL <Courtesy: Reddit > Akshay Kumar , the brand ambassador (Oh! the brand ambassadors was one way franchises burnt their hard earned money during the first IPL) for Delhi Daredevils (DD) zip-lined his way into the ground for an IPL match. DD followed his example of daredevilry all throughout the league phase before their stunt went all wrong crashing them into the ground in the semis .            Ricky Ponting (yes he p...